Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Lian Eng Hwa Kee Seafood @ Havelock Road

Yes you're right ... I've been dining at Havelock Road quite often. :) Anyway, this was a good expereince that I had food wise. Everything tasted pretty nice. It was a pleasant treat by Satellite's parents :-)

The cold platter was decent, the best part of it though I must say was the Jelly Fish ... soft succulent and with a nice thai sauce!

And of course we had the politically incorrect shark's fin soup ... it was nice albeit thick ... thereafter we had no more room in our tummy's to fit much of the other food... An additional comment I would add is that the crab roe was too dry and tough; that did give the soup minus points.
The fish was good... definitely tasted better than the one I had at G7 Liang Kee the week before. However, if I were cooking it, I think I would've added more Kiam Chai (preserved vegetables).Next came the prawns swimming in a sea of garlic.. it was really a sea of garlic, so for those that don't like garlic much, they'd be totally turned off. Vampires beware of this dish!

Ah... unfortunately ... well maybe fortunately I did not take the picture of the pork ribs because they were not fantastical, and in comparison to Por Kee Restaurant at Tiong Bahru, they faired poorly.
Of course we must all have veggies! The veggies were a nice touch, the abalone was nice and is always welcomed in my stomach! The minus point of this dish was that the brown sauce was way too thick... already full from most of the food, you have to basically sit down and wipe off all the brown sauce if you don't want to get full until you puke.
who is the mystery squeezer?
And what would we do without carbs... This Char Kway Teow with Malaysian influences was a nice complement to the food. It went well with their chilli sauce that was nice.
Of course to end it all, someone had to order Orh Nee (Yam Paste), a dessert that I do not favor cause to me it is just goo with coconut milk. It's gooey and sweet! But the fact is, if you go to a Teochew restaurant and they don't have Orh Nee, you better run as the place is probably not authentic. The original Orh Nee used to be made with pork fat, garlic, yam and ginko nuts. Now it is usually made with yam, ginko nuts, and sugar water.I was asked not to take this photo but just had to ... it shows pretty much how I feel about Orh Nee. This dessert actually kinda gave me a fright when I saw it for the first time 11 years ago in Singapore. They should make an ultimate dessert like this: Durian Orh Nee ... I bet you it'd be a best seller!

1 comment:

SumDumFul said...

i like da orh nee teehee!!!