Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Cafe Brio - Dracoholic's Disappointing Experience

Another pathetic dining experience I had today when I went over to Cafe Brio at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront for lunch. I just happened to go there since I was at a new innovative product launch that supposedly saves you money when you utilize the services and products for roaming.

Although the Caesar salad was scrumptious, it had both salmon and grilled chicken breast. I was highly disappointed with the Oxtail Fettucini Pasta, that Pasta was the most depressing thing that happened to me today, as when I received it, I ended up getting a Vegetarian Pasta instead... and it so happened the initial waitress that was serving us disappeared so we called for another.



Dracoholic: "Excuse me, I think this is the wrong order. I ordered the Oxtail Fettucini Pasta but I can't seem to find the oxtail."

Waitress: "Oh let me check your order." Disappears for awhile and comes back. Waitress: "Yes, you ordered the Oxtail Fettucini without the Oxtail so the kitchen specially made this for you."



Dracoholic: "Eh, no I never ordered the Oxtail Fettucini without the Oxtail."

Fiona: "She never said she didn't want the Oxtail."

Waitress: "Ok I take it back and change your order."

Like oh my goodness ... not even a sorry??? Use your brain dude, why would I order Oxtail Fettucini without Oxtail, it's like ordering Hamburger without the Burger. I mean you think about it, if I did order the Oxtail Fettucini without the Oxtail, wouldn't I be saying that I want the Oxtail sauce, or wouldn't I have just ordered the Vegetarian Pasta that was right below the Oxtail Fettucini on the menu. I guess in the service line, if someone were to really order the Oxtail Fettucini w/o the Oxtail, I would've just asked wouldn't you prefer the Vegetarian Pasta with Fettucini instead, or maybe I would have asked, oh so do you mean you would like us to use the Oxtail sauce and shread the meat for you into the pasta instead of dealing with the unsightly bones???

Harlow out there ... use your brain ... dun blame me for your mistake ...

Finally 15 - 20 minutes later when Fiona had finished her "recommended dish" of Black Pepper Beef on a Sizziling Plate, the Oxtail Fettucini finally came. By the way, be wary of "recommended dishes" as there's a few places we've tried and they are just miserable. I need not say more about the dish that Fiona had because it wasn't all that!



Ok, so we ask for the bill, and suddenly our original waitress comes out from nowhere and hands us the bill.

Dracoholic: "Are there any special tie ups with banks or promotions going on?"
Original Waitress: "Uhm, I don't know."

Long pause between us and she stares at me.

Dracoholic: (losing my patience) "Well shouldn't you go check?"

Original Waitress: "Oh ok, lemme check."

She goes off to check, and returns with the bill another 10 minutes later.

Original Waitress: "UOB has 18%."

Dracoholic: "Oh is that the only bank card that has a discount?"

Original Waitress: "Uhmm and yah Citibank 15%."

Fiona takes out her UOB card to pay. The other waitress all of a sudden shows up to try to take the bill to charge it ... then we tell her we will follow her because we are in a rush. She disappears really quickly. We stand outside the front to wait for the bill for another 5 minutes when another server or host asks us if we need help. Then we tell them we're waiting for our bill ... another 5 minutes passes by, when he goes into the kitchen area to take the bill to go over to the bar area to charge it????? Geez are these people on duh pills or something?

Strange strange people that made us wait a decade to get food and the bill ... you'd expect the billing part to be fast. ARGHHHHH yes ... and basically I fell into an unknown depression after lunch and became super sian by the time I got home.

Pictures to come later when I get off my lazy ass... I just had to bitch about something.... I really cannot believe the difference in service level between Pontini and Cafe Brio which is in the same establishment.

So ... thus... I missed a freeflow, which I doubt Lynx or Rice King wanted to goto anyway because it was a type of grapefruit martini, they both aren't fans of grapefruit, plus because of my depressed mood, I don't think they wanted me to drink anyway in case I pick an argument with either them or some stranger. Hahaha ... Anyway Lynx, Rice King and myself decided to cook Spaghetti with White Clam Sauce since we've been pretty disappointed in the food we've been having outside lately, furthermore, wallet a bit tight.

Quick n Easy White Clam Sauce

4-8 tablespoons of bacon oil (if you don't have bacon oil, extra virgin oil will do)
1 1/2 cloves of crushed garlic
6 shallots
2 bay leaves
4 tablespoons of Italian Seasoning (Any brand is ok) but if you want to make it yourself, it's basically Parsley, Oregano, Tarragon, Bay Leaf, and Onions I think.
2 Tins of Clams in Clam Juice (separate clams from clam juice)
2-3 glasses of White Wine (use a nicer wine, don't use the cooking white wine because as Satellite once said, it doesn't taste nice)
3 tablespoons of butter

So you heat up your pot, put the bacon oil in let it warm up then throw the garlic in. Let the garlic brown, after which you throw the shallots and tear apart the bay leaves and throw bay leaf and italian seasoning into the pot. After the spices become fragrant, throw in the clams cook for a bit and continue to cook on low heat about 2 - 3 minutes .. then throw in the 3 cups of white wine and clam juice ... let simmer for another 5 - 10 minutes, then put in 3 tablespoons of butter and simmer for another 10 minutes. TA DA ... CLAM SAUCE READY!


No comments: